The RISE Academy is a 5-week, residential, summer acclimation program designed to ease the transition to college and support academic success. Students will gain valuable social resources, academic skills, and be able to familiarize themselves with our campus and campus life before the fall semester begins. RISE Academy students will complete their first MATH course required for their major; live with other RISE participants and other UD students in a residence hall; and participate in an experiential learning (EL) opportunity.
In addition to a 4 credit Math Course during Summer Session 2, students will also:
- Participate in weekly career preparation and academic skill workshops
- Engage in a unique and independent hands-on learning experience
- Attend tours to research facilities and industry site locations
- Receive tutoring or small group course advisement
- Attend weekly networking events or social activities
- Connect with COE leadership, faculty, advisors, and industry partners
- Build learning strategies and develop study skills
- Receive academic coaching to identify goals and strategies for academic success
- Present their research results or information on their EL experience to family and COE leadership
- Automatically be enrolled in the RISE program
Program Cost and Fees
The cost of an experience like this could be more than $7,500 but the RISE Program and the College of Engineering is pleased to cover costs associated with attending, including tuition, housing, meal plan, and costs associated with recreational events. It does not include personal costs or spending money.
There is a non-refundable, one-time deposit of $500 that is due by June 15. Apply early to take advantage of discounts up to 50% off deposit.
Application and Admissions Criteria
Admission to RISE Academy is competitive and selective. Students must meet the following criteria to be considered for admission to the program:
- Be admitted to the College of Engineering and enrolled for Fall classes
- Demonstrates maturity and a commitment to their academic success
- Complete a short essay question: “Describe what you hope to gain from participation in the RISE Academy and ways you can contribute to an enriching summer experience.”
The RISE Academy seeks to create a diverse and wholistic experience for all participants. We welcome applications from all admitted COE students, and strongly encourage student applicants from underrepresented groups in the nation’s engineering and scientific workforce to apply.
Participation in the RISE Academy is awarded through a competitive application process and admissions priority is determined according to application completion date. Space is limited- Apply today to secure your spot. Completion of the application does not commit you to attending the University of Delaware or enrolling in the College of Engineering.
Summer In Newark, Delaware
As a RISE Academy participant, students will have the opportunity to experience the culture, nature, and entertainment Newark and the Delaware Valley has to offer. Students can take advantage of local shops, cafés, and restaurants on Main Street, enjoy the charm of historic Newark, or find a moment of tranquil reflection in nearby gardens and state parks. With abundant local recreation and entertainment facilities, there is something for everyone.
2024 Program Dates
- Application Opens: January 20
- Application Closes: June 1
- Move in and orientation: July 7
- Summer II Classes July 8-Aug. 9
- Closing Ceremony and Move-out: August 9