Home » Graduate Programs » Graduate Student Support

Graduate Student Support

As a graduate student in the College of Engineering, you can expand your horizons or dive deep into an area of interest. Best of all, you will have access to a wide array of resources built to help you succeed on your journey.

The Graduate Student Handbook, written by and for College of Engineering graduate students, contains helpful advice, links to academic resources, and other useful information about graduate life at UD.

Learn how UD enhances the graduate school experience for all by facilitating diversity of thought, background and perspective amongst its graduate community.

Career Support

Career Center
Recognizing the unique career development needs of graduate students and postdoctoral trainees, the Career Center included support for the academic job search, transition to a career outside of academia, continued development of professional skills and access to employers seeking graduate-level talents.

Graduate College
The Graduate College offers Professional Development resources for success in a variety of careers.

Handshake is the #1 way college students find jobs. Join today to explore career options, find jobs and internships for students, and connect with employers.

Horn Entrepreneurship
Horn Entrepreneurship serves as the creative engine for entrepreneurship education and advancement at UD.  Built and actively supported by successful entrepreneurs, Horn Entrepreneurship empowers aspiring innovators as they pursue new ideas for a better world.  Horn Entrepreneurship is committed to supporting student success and cultivating a lifelong community of collaboration, connections and impact.

Professional and Continuing Education
Whether you want to gain credentials, prepare for standardized tests, or participate in lifelong learning opportunities, UD PCS programs and courses may be for you.

Outside Resources
Indeed, LinkedIn, Twitter, ZipRecruiter, Biomch-L

Academic Impressions 
The University of Delaware has partnered with Academic Impressions, an organization specializing in professional development resources for higher education administrators. This partnership provides all faculty, staff and students at our University with membership access to a wide range of learning resources designed specifically for professionals working in our industry. Topic areas range from skills-based training for professionals in all areas of higher ed to leadership training, to diversity, equity and inclusion, among others, all developed for higher education professionals by higher education professionals. To access member resources, just login using your UD credentials.

LinkedIn Learning
All UD faculty, staff and students have unlimited access to LinkedIn Learning, an online library featuring thousands of instructional videos and resources which cover a wide range of technical, business, software and creative topics. For more information, please view the introduction video.


At various points in your graduate career, you will find that there are procedures to be followed in order to progress in your degree and policies you may want to be aware of so you can stay on track.  Any information regarding policies and program requirements not available on the Graduate College website can be found in the University of Delaware Graduate Catalog.

Graduate Student Parents

See local resources and lactation rooms for graduate student parents.

The Dependent Care Resource page and FAQs were developed by Graduate College staff working with colleagues in the Department of Human Development and Family Sciences.

UD has a grant-funded CCAMPIS (Child Care Access Means Parents in School Program). This project will provide a child care navigator and some child care scholarships at the UD Early Learning Center for our student parents over the next several years.

Health and Wellness

Student Health Services

Mental Health
National trends provide evidence that graduate students are facing increasing levels of stress and anxiety, likely exacerbated by ongoing events in the US and worldwide.  The Center for Counseling and Student Development (CCSD) consultation services are available to the entire University community, whether to enhance student wellbeing, to increase the understanding of student culture, or to improve the ability of faculty and staff to meet student needs.  They offer a broad range of  services including individual short-term therapy, career counseling, group activities, culturally responsive services, psychiatric care, crisis support, and off-campus referral services.  CCSD is fully accredited by the International Association of Counseling Services, Inc. CCSD services are FREE to all UD students.

TimelyCare – 24/7 Virtual Mental Health Care
All students enrolled at the University of Delaware (including all part-time, professional, graduate and undergraduate students) now have access to 24/7 virtual mental health care through TimelyCare. The service is completely free for students. Features include on-demand and scheduled appointments with licensed counselors. In most cases, students will be connected with a professional within five minutes of initiating a request for 24/7 support or students can browse providers and make a scheduled appointment with their chosen counselor.  Learn more at the University of Delaware TimelyCare FAQ page.  Link to Register

Additional recommended resources include:

UD Health Insurance Plan – The University believes student wellness is essential to academic progress and wants to ensure all students have health insurance coverage.  Therefore, the University sponsors a Student Health Insurance Plan (UD Plan) that offers benefits for covered medical expenses at a relatively low cost for single students.  Coverage is also available for a student’s spouse, civil union spouse, and/or dependent children at an additional charge.

Please note: students will only receive a bill if they have registered.  Students not on contract can sign up for an installment plan with the Billing Office; students on contract can sign up for payroll deduction.  All full-time graduate students are charged for medical insurance on their bill; if on contract, the charge is for the subsidized rate.  Eligible students may request a waiver of medical insurance.  Students on contract and registered in sustaining are charged for the insurance; students registered in sustaining only are not charged for the insurance (student must send a request directly to Mary Martin to verify whether they can be enrolled).


UD partners with Places4Students to make searching for housing, roommates or tenants easy and free.

Residence Life & Housing information on graduate student housing options, as well as campus partners for more graduate student resources.

The Center for Global Programs & Services housing page (international students are encouraged to check out this site).  Please see their Community Resources & Guidance on Finding Housing webinar.

Facebook Group pages:

See transportation for apartments listed on bus routes.

See UD’s Classifieds page to advertise or look for a roommate.  The Classifieds site is also a great resource to buy or sell furniture, post to the rideboard, buy/sell tickets to events, etc.

The Graduate College created a Graduate College Student Life discussion board as a Google Group. If you are happy with your living arrangements and want to share that information with others, you can do it there. If you have off-campus living tips to share, you can do that too.

International Students

The Center for Global Programs and Services provides International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS), including immigration advising and support services, to UD’s international community. ISSS provides comprehensive information on government regulations, programs, activities and other important campus and community resources.

If you require an extension to your I-20 or DS-2019, CGPS can help you. Please see Extension Procedures for more information.

Employment / CPT, OPT, Academic Training – As an F-1 or J-1 student, you may find that you are interested in work opportunities in the U.S. It is important to remember that the U.S. government defines “work” as any activity that someone would normally be paid to perform. Even if you are not being paid, you still may need authorization. Always check with CGPS before accepting any work opportunity, even if it is unpaid or “volunteer.” CGPS will help you meet your goals in a legal way.

Program Policy Documents

Each College of Engineering department has documentation approved by Faculty Senate that summarizes the program’s policies and requirements.  Details should be referenced based on admit term / term of entry in the corresponding Graduate Catalog.

Related Policies

Change of Research Advisor
If a student would like to change their research advisor after a sufficient trial period (at least one semester), they should contact the Graduate Program Director, take responsibility for seeking a new research advisor, maintain productivity on funded work, and contribute to a smooth transition. (Based on current MSEG policy.)

Conflict of Interest
All postdoctoral scholars and graduate students are required to self-disclose at least annually any outside employment or business activities and interests that could interfere with or represent a conflict of interest (see policy here). A Student/Scholar Awareness Document and Monitor Report must be submitted to the faculty advisor, Department, and Associate Dean for Research and Entrepreneurship in the College of Engineering by October 1 annually.

Leave of Absence
The University of Delaware recognizes the importance of having a leave of absence policy for graduate students. The policy helps balance the responsibilities of graduate studies and personal, medical, or professional circumstances. The University’s policy encourages graduate students to initiate a dialogue with their advisors and immediate supervisors so their career paths can be maintained while assuming the added responsibilities of a temporary leave or parental accommodation. Graduate students are expected to inform their advisors as early as possible when considering a potential leave of absence. In many circumstances, it is possible to reach an arrangement that permits the student to continue with academic work without requiring a leave of absence.

Paid Leave (Vacation and Sick)
Students appointed as a research assistant should be granted a minimum of two weeks (40 hours) of vacation leave with pay in a 12 month contract period beyond the dates when the university is officially closed in accordance with the procedures to request time-off and as stated by the research advisor or pro rata for appointments other than 50%.  Sick Leave Accommodations:  If a TA, GA, or RA becomes ill, sick leave should be supported collegially, up to 40 hours for the 12 month contract period.  After four consecutive days of sick leave, the student is to provide a letter from a physician or other licensed health-care professional that is confidential and states (1) that the student can or cannot return to the appointment for health reasons; and (2) the duration of the required sick leave.  See Graduate Student Paid Leave and the Graduate Student Paid Leave Policy, under Students on Contract, on the Graduate College’s website for details.

Publication and Authorship Agreement
Authors should discuss authorship when planning research, agree authorship in writing, and revisit the agreement through stages of the research. Listing the authors tells readers who did the work and should ensure that the right people get the credit, and take responsibility, for the research. This document is a “best practice” approach and collectively contributes to maintaining professionalism, accountability, and fairness in collaborative research projects.  See the Advising Tools dropdown, Section E, for more information and to access the agreement form.

Student Dismissal from Research Group
If the advisor wishes to dismiss a graduate student from the research group based on insufficient performance, they should provide written notice to the student with a proposed performance improvement plan and timeline, inform the Graduate Program Director, and maintain existing contracts.  The student may join another research group (see above), switch programs (i.e. to non-thesis degree program without financial support), or leave the program. (Based on current MSEG policy.) If dismissal from the program is warranted, see UD Dismissal policy.